The words “sustainability,” “green,” and “corporate social responsibility” are flooding the business press. Sustainability holds the promise of an exciting new approach to business — one in which business goals are aligned with social and environmental goals. And with the growth of this field comes a host of interesting new career opportunities for MBAs in fields like green marketing, cleantech, and corporate social responsibility (CSR).
But what exactly does that mean for an MBA job search? And how are you going to land your sustainability dream job? Profession and Purpose is a practical guide to help you navigate the sustainability job search. It compiles in one place tips and resources for MBA-level careers in a wide range of fields — corporate social responsibility (CSR), sustainability consulting, renewable energy, socially responsible investing, environmental management, and others — and discusses specific job search strategies for each.
With insights gathered from hundreds of conversations with MBA students, professionals, and recruiters, Profession and Purpose will jump start your sustainability career search with the both the tools and the inspiration to succeed.
Who will benefit
Though Profession and Purpose was written with MBA students and alumni in mind, it is a useful resource for anyone interested in sustainability careers.
No matter what stage of the career search process you’re in, Profession and Purpose can help you better understand the landscape of sustainability-related career options, focus your search on specific paths, find the best resources and fine-tune your sustainability job search strategy.
What you’ll learn
In one concise, easy-to-follow guide, Profession and Purpose provides:
- An overview of the career options for MBAs interested in sustainability
- Frameworks for helping you make sense of the career possibilities and focus your search
- Example employers, keywords, skills needed, key resources, and descriptions of the employment landscape for specific sustainability career paths
- Interviews with MBAs working in sustainability-fields and their job search advice
- A job search timeline for a typical MBA calendar
- Recommended reading and sustainable business research resources
- A list of the best websites that post sustainability job openings
- Tips for networking and conducting memorable informational interviews